Here is a copy of the video we watched today in class as well as the rubrics you will use tomorrow.
I apologize I can’t be here today, but you should complete the following questions to prepare for tomorrow. Research and reflect both sides of the argument.
1. Is the death penalty a violation of the 8th Amendment? Provide examples.
2. Does it serve as a deterrent? Explain.
3. Are there any grey areas? (Ex: self-defense, bias, etc) provide current research or examples to support your claim.
4. Should cost play a factor? Should the victim’s family get a say?
5. Is death row syndrome a violation of the 8th Amendment? Why?
6. Should someone’s IQ be taken into consideration?
Are there any other interesting things you would like to discuss?
I hope to see all of you at the dance Saturday night! (I will be chaperoning...yayyyy ;-0)
Next week, we will dig deeper into the Bill of Rights with some case studies since we had a chance to do an overview of scenarios and the basics the past few days. Please find a schedule for the next two weeks.
Monday- The Pledge of Allegiance
Tuesday- The Death Penalty (Background)
Wednesday- The 8th Amendment and the Intellectually Disabled
Tuesday- Socratic Seminar Prep
Wednesday- Socratic Seminar 1
Thursday- Socratic Seminar 2
Friday- Test Unit II
Welcome to the Constitution!